Average Cost of an All-Inclusive Destination Wedding in Mexico
I’ve organized 100’s of destination weddings as a wedding coordinator in various all-inclusive resorts.
Planning your own wedding is super exciting, but it can also be overwhelming. I can’t imagine doing it from afar, you’re very brave!
The real trick is to get help from a destination wedding team but we’ll get into that.
Do you want to know what an all-inclusive wedding in Mexico might cost?
I thought so. 😉
Check it out!
- What is the average cost of a wedding in Mexico?
- Are destination weddings expensive?
- What’s included in an all-inclusive wedding package?
- Cost breakdown
- Breakdown for guests
- Wedding photography costs
- Perks and discounts available
- Types of wedding ceremonies
- High season & weather
- Need some help?
What is the Average Cost of a Destination Wedding?
You’re looking at $5000-$7000 as the average cost of a destination wedding in Mexico at a 4.5 star all-inclusive resort.
- $5000 wedding with 30 guests (4.5★ resort)
- $7000 wedding with 60 guests (4.5★ resort)
- $10,000 wedding with 100 guests (4.5★ resort)
- $15,000 wedding with 200 guests (4.5★ resort)
So are destination weddings more expensive?
No, destination weddings in Mexico are cheaper. $5-7k for a destination wedding VS $35,329 is the average cost of a traditional wedding in the USA.
You’re looking at saving a lot of money! 👏
Pretty sweet right?
It gets better…
What’s Included in an All-Inclusive Wedding Package?
All the “essentials” for your wedding are included in the wedding package.
What are the essentials?
Breakdown of what’s included:
- Symbolic ceremony on the beach
- Private cocktail prior to the wedding
- Private buffet dinner on the beach
- Sparkling wine for your toast
- Reception area
- Open bar!
- Wedding cake
- DJ, lighting
So that’s generally what most all-inclusive resorts offer but it may vary from resort to resort.
Your wedding is included, so is a buffet for 30 guests, FREE accommodation for wedding couples staying 5-7 days but excludes accommodation for guests.
Here’s the deal…
You can spend more.
The main difference between a $5000 wedding and a $10,000 wedding is the following:
- you’ll be upgraded to an ultra-luxurious suite for your stay
- live music for the ceremony
- premium drinks
- romantic candlelight dinner for a night of your choosing
What you get really depends on the resort you choose and what you can negotiate. Our wedding team can help with that because we’re local and know the managers so we can to squeeze for more, ha!
Your wedding package can be personalized and tweaked to your needs with “Extras”, such as photography, flowers, décor, furniture, lighting etc.. It can be as specific as you want it (extra costs usually apply).
Cost Breakdown for Your Wedding:
- $6000 average all-inclusive wedding package (5-7 nights)
- $250-$450 per person for flights (USA)
- $100 transportation to and from the airport
- $50 gratuities
- $500-$3000 in wedding extras (they can add up quickly)
The prices above cover all popular coastal cities like Cancun, the Riviera Maya (Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Puerto Morelos etc), Puerto Vallarta, Cabo and Huatulco.
You can also explore our post on the best wedding packages in Mexico.
First, your guests need to get to Mexico 😉
Flights from the U.S. are in the $250-$500 per person range.
I would say all-inclusive accommodations cost around $100 / person per night for a 4 star+. This can vary depending on the season (we´ll get to that in a bit).
A general rule to remember is that roughly 80% of wedding guests MUST stay at your Hotel.
Guests staying off-property will be able to purchase “Wedding Day Passes” which cost around $50 – $100 USD per person.
Your wedding package includes guests, so it’s FREE for your guests to attend your wedding! (meals, drinks etc are included in your wedding package)
Cost Breakdown for Guests:
- $250-$450 per person for flights (USA)
- $100 per person per night (4 Star resort)
- $100 transportation to and from airport
- $50 gratuities
So… $800 is the average cost per person for guests to attend your destination wedding in Mexico.
That includes 4 days/3 nights in a gorgeous 4-star+ resort.
Not too shabby! Champaign anyone?
Wedding Photography Costs
Destination wedding photographers offer packages ranging from $550-$8,000.
If your wedding is at an all-inclusive resort, each resort will have its preferred list of vendors, which include photographers.
Resort photography packages range from $750-$3500+.
More expensive packages will include
- photo booths
- offsite photography with elaborate “trash the dress” shoots
If you decide to hire an “outside vendor” the resort will charge an outside vendor fee between $400-$1000 per vendor.
If a family member is a photographer you’re in luck. Typically, resorts won’t charge an extra for that 😉
Perks & Discounts
Discounts may occur with volume, so if 30+ guests stay with you at the hotel, the resort may offer you upgrades and $ discounts.
You might be able to get anniversary nights for free or at very discounted rates if you get married at their hotel.
Our destination wedding team can help you figure all that out.
Types of Wedding Ceremonies
You’ll notice a BIG difference in the cost of Symbolic Ceremony vs Legal Ceremony.
- Couples (and their witnesses) must arrive several days prior to the ceremony to finalize documentation, so this will incur extra nights booked at the Hotel.
- Bloodwork is needed for all Legal ceremonies in Mexico.
- Judge/courthouse fees. These are extra and not included in the cost of wedding packages.
- Translation and Apostille stamps for documents may be needed to validate the Wedding Certificate in your Country of Origin.
- Couples get married in the Court House at home and have the event here.
- No extra costs of paperwork and blood work needed.
If you are looking for a Catholic Wedding, there are some all-inclusive resorts with their official Catholic Chapel within the property.
Indian Weddings are available as well in many resorts.
Indian Weddings tend to be more expensive. This is because the celebration is spread over 3-4 days with various events each day (Sangeet / Mehendi / Ceremony / Gala Reception) Décor costs vary, particularly depending on guest count.
Gay Weddings are legal in the Riviera Maya (state of Quintana Roo). See our best-rated resorts for Gay weddings.
High Season and Weather
The month of MAY is the most popular month for weddings.
In May, it’s cheap to fly in, hotels are decently priced, and the weather is still great (not too hot like summer months).
Since May is such a popular month for weddings, it tends to book out pretty quickly and with a long time in advance. (some hotels are close to being sold out for May 2020)
Can you believe that Hotels will even have different pricing depending on each day of the week! They also price based on the Ceremony time.
4pm or 5pm is considered the most popular ceremony hour, as it’s a little cooler.
Rain on Your Wedding Day?!?!
All of the hotels and venues have backup plans in case of bad weather.
During the rainy season (sep, oct, nov) it can get unpredictable so keep away from those months.
Need Some Help?
As you can see, there’s so much to consider when planning your Destination Wedding in Mexico.
You’ll find over 100 hotels offering weddings in this region. It’s VERY difficult to decide without some help.
The best advice I can give is to connect with experienced wedding coordinators like us.
Hate to plug but we know our stuff.
Based on your vision we’ll guide you to the right venue or resort and save you a bundle since we know the ins and outs.
And here’s the kicker…
Want more info on Weddings in Mexico now?
You can talk to a real, live, friendly wedding planner at PlayaDelCarmen.com to help you with your destination wedding!
You can also learn more about our destination wedding services here.
Now It’s Your Turn to Comment
What did you think of our post? What’s missing?
Have questions? How can we help?
Comment below now.